The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Self-destructive sheep

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 8: The Shepherd Healer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nschatz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:10 pm    Post subject: Self-destructive sheep Reply with quote

“The vast variety of ills and harmful habits that befall sheep around the world is almost comical…” (65)

Sheep are susceptible to ailments just like any other creature on this planet. But unlike other animals they can be really stupid and self-afflicting. In so doing they easily infect others in the herd and spread diseases among themselves.

I cannot but help compare this problem with humans. We develop habits that are self-destructive and counterproductive. We infect others with our poor judgment and lash out at each other. I’m reminded of a striking statement from the Apostle Paul that compares Christians to cannibals: “If you continually bite and devour one another, beware that you are not consumed by one another.” (Galatians 5:15)

To be a shepherd is to take on the role of diagnostician. We have to state the problem plainly, naming the sins or issues that cause infection. We have to show people how to overcome their spiritual and relational diseases. And we have to do so out of genuine concern.

In writing this I’m reminded of Paul’s words to fellow pastors, that they “admonish the undisciplined, comfort the discouraged, help the weak, be patient towards all.” (1 Thessalonians 5:14)
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 8: The Shepherd Healer
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: