The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Good Shepherd

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
toddw

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:09 pm    Post subject: Good Shepherd Reply with quote

I appreciated the concluding observations and reflections of Timothy Laniak, specifically his first one on p. 247, where he stated: "shepherd leadership is comprehensive in scope. It represents a diverse and changing 'role set'. For the sake of convenience we have in places summarized the inter-related pastoral roles as protector, provider and guide. To be a good shepherd and this is consistently the biblical concern--means to be accountable for the lives and well-being of the sheep." A pastor/shepherd is one who knows how to effectively balance his or her authority over, and care for, his or her followers (sheep) in such a way, that he or she is giving out at great personal cost to protect and care for his or her followers (sheep).
hyongho

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:08 pm    Post subject: The Good Shepherd Reply with quote

The concept of the good shepherd is central in understanding the relationship between God and his people. I hold the same view with Timothy Laniak as presented by Toddw in his post. The divine right of kings emanated from the idea of the Shepherd-king. This idea provided for those in authority to treat their citizens in an accountable manner. With the case of Israel, the king was charged with the responsibility of protecting, providing and guiding the flock of God under him. God's desires and will for the people was expressed through the king who stood as the under shepherd from Laniak view: "One of the final passages in Isaiah recalls God's leadership by the hands of his human shepherds. Is 63:7- 64 &11" P.128. A good shepherd is a servant of God. Laniak reports that prophets and kings were all servants of God. They were expected to replicate God's goodness in taking care of God's flocks. Many failed to meet up with the task and God had to send his son to serve as the best example of a good shepherd. In John 10:11 - 18, Jesus explains " I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep...". Indeed, Jesus is the good shepherd who laid down his life for the sheep to live by protecting, providing and of course guiding the flock. In today's concept of the good shepherdship, most of those who present as shepherds are nothing more than wolves moving with the flock of God.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: