The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Day 35

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 35: Think Flock
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevrev16

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Day 35 Reply with quote

I have had some difficulty in the past few years with this paradigm shift of intimate, close-proximity shepherding and the larger-scale, macro-level shepherding of a flock. In a smaller church setting, and as a volunteer, my role and scope was limited to a small group of individuals with whom I spent most of my time. I ministered to needs, listened, spent time weekly or semi-weekly over coffee or a meal and was blessed to be able to see the ministry that was taking place.

Then, moving into a larger church role, my vocational ministry expanded but I was still focusing specifically on a specific age group. I had a team of leaders now and needed to equip and shepherd these undershepherds of the flock yet I was still able to maintain some of the regularity I had with the individuals within the flock itself.

4 years ago my role expanded further. Now I find that most of my time is spent “ranching” and helping shepherds become better shepherds and looking at overall needs of the flock. I’ve discovered I have to intentionally carve out time to go and be with the flock when it used to be more natural and an expected part of my day. Perhaps what has been most hurtful to hear is that the flock, at times, believes I’m too preoccupied with other matters to spend time with them. “I’m sure you’re busy” has become a common refrain and apologetic excuse before someone asks if I’m available to go get coffee.

I’m choosing to make more time to spend with individuals. This means less time for sermon prep and so Sundays are less polished than I would ultimately desire. However, I feel much more in tune with the flock as a whole and feel I am better able to shepherd both individuals and the collective when I actively seek to spend time with people one on one.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 35: Think Flock
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: