The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Follow Me

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 20: Gatekeepers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScottG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Follow Me Reply with quote

At the installation of a pastor, another pastor publicly asked him this question, "Can you say to these people, 'Follow me?'" Everyone was a little surprised by the forthright nature of the question. Typically this was a moment for platitudes and blessings. The veteran pastor didn't relent. He just stared. The candidate quickly responded, "I will say, "Follow me as I follow Jesus.'" The air returned to the room. Maybe it was the Holy Spirit. The words of 1 Corinthians 11:1 had brought calm.

It was a good question. A soul-searching question for any pastor at the beginning, middle or end of a pastorate. Anytime our answer is anything less than,"Follow me as I follow Jesus," we tread on shaky ground.
We are too prone to follow our own paths, and too willing to lead others down them.

"The best thieves are good shepherds" those who are "effective in gaining a following" (142). How popularity breeds ego! The transition from shepherd who seeks the care of the flock under the true Good Shepherd to thief who desires the sheep for personally ends and goals can be subtle and slow. And so the wise old pastor's question needs to serve as a periodic gut check, "Can you say to these people, "Follow me?'"[/i]
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 20: Gatekeepers
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: