The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Day 17

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 17: Recognizing the Wolves
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevrev16

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Day 17 Reply with quote

The story at the end of today's reading was especially difficult to hear. Working with students, the idea of a leader preying on kids is heartbreaking and stomach-turning. Leadership applications, interviews and background checks are important and necessary. So, too, are diligence and discernment. To look at students as a flock is important and has equipped me to make tough phone calls and reports to CPS and the authorities, trusting God throughout the difficult process and subsequent fallout.

This summer we had a young girl report a situation of abuse in her home to one of our leaders. The leader brought this to our staff's attention and we chose to make a CPS call. The follow up interviews at this girl's home angered the parents. Blame was cast all around, stories were called into question. Eventually the girl's parents called for a meeting with me and asked - "When did it become church policy to trust a 12-year old girl over her parents?" Later on I was told that, in their opinion, "Things like this shouldn't be taken outside of the church. The church is a family and things need to be handled in house."

I could not have disagreed more. I patiently tried to share the legal obligation to report any mention of abuse from a minor and let the parents know that it's not necessarily my job nor a leader's job to determine what happened but to report what was said.

I've been carrying the weight of this interaction for the past month. However, 5 years ago - when I made my first call ever to CPS - the weight felt much heavier and I felt much more alone. I don't ever want to become "good" at making these calls but I do feel that God has given me His peace and patience to look out for the flock with a new strength.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 17: Recognizing the Wolves
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: