The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

The Shepherd Lion

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 19: The Other Lion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fkballa65

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:18 am    Post subject: The Shepherd Lion Reply with quote

THE SHEPHERD LION
DAY 19: 08/14/2019
As I read through the previous chapters, I came, to realize the great qualities of our God the Good Shepherd and how I might emulate the same in my leading of the flock that God has entrusted to me to lead. In chapter 19, the author introduces the other side of a gentle, caring, tender shepherd, which was that of a ferocious Lion who retreats before no one.

In this chapter, God is depicted as the protective as well as the destructive Lion of God’s people, on the contrary to the “Roaring Lion,” the Devil who is bent on destroying God’s people.
The OT writers graphically captured the Lion power of God in dealing with the enemies of His people, that must have given them high confidence to know that God will take care of them by destroying anyone who stood in His way of protecting His people.

But little did they realize, the Lion that could bring irreversible damage to their enemies would not hesitate to turn on them when they continue to disobey Him and live in constant rebellion. How did God’s people respond when their protective Shepherd became a threatening Lion? It is so true when we say, “Who can be against us if God is for us? (Romans 8:31) In other words, who can stand against in the way of the Lion of Judah? The opposite is also precisely exact, “who can be for us if God is against us? In other words, I would rather have God on my side than standing against me in opposition. I can never be able to fight Him.

Then what can protect us and the world from His wrath or hold it back for some time? This is when the ministry of Intercession comes into place. The OT has excellent examples of Intercessors who interceded on behalf of God’s people at their own expense. Abraham pleaded for God to be merciful towards Sodom and Gomorrah. It is interesting to see how many times Moses stepped in between God and His people in the wilderness. If it was not for the selfless and persistent Intercession of Moses, God could have wiped out the entire generation of the Israelites several times in the wilderness on the way to the promised land.

I am comfortable to spoke about and highlight the tender, loving, caring, rescuing and protecting attributes of God, but not so good at talking about the other characteristics of God such as His anger and wrath, his judgment and punishment, etc. No doubt God is loving and merciful, but at the same time He is Just in all of His ways, He would not let the culprit go unpunished and the innocent without Justice. It may seem like forever, but God in His due time will bring about Justice that so many people are longing for around the world.

As a Shepherd Leader, I need to keep emphasizing to my flock both the characteristics of a Shepherd and a Lion. When we put these characteristics together, we get the Shepherd Lion nature of God. I recognize that I have a delicate role as a spiritual shepherd. I am called on one hand to protect my congregation from the ravages of the “Roaring Lion,” at the same time to stand in the gap as an intercessor to keep God’s anger at bay.

How am I wrestling in prayer for the congregants at Hope Church? How am I standing in the gap for our country and the world at large and pleading for God’s mercy? With the help of the Holy Spirit and the Great Intercessor, I want to excel in the area of prayer and Intercession.
While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks: “The Shepherd Lion” Day 19, Pages 132-137
e-mail: francis.balla@gmail.com
www.hopechurchsharon.org
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 19: The Other Lion
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: