The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

GOD IS MY PROTECTION

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 15: PROTECTION
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fkballa65

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:16 am    Post subject: GOD IS MY PROTECTION Reply with quote

PROTECTION
DAY 15: 7/31/19
Chapter fifteen was an eye-opener for me to see the passive and defenseless state of the sheep and the absolute importance of a shepherd who could keep them safe and secured. It is interesting to observe the flocking nature of the sheep for their protection and survival. On the one hand, the docile nature of the sheep and on the other hand, the tender care and courageous steps a shepherd ought to take to protect his sheep is something for me to keep in mind as I attend to the needs of the flock that has been entrusted to me.
It was comforting for me to see how David, a shepherd warrior sought comfort and protection from the Divine Shepherd to an extent he could confidently say, “Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me.” Psalm 23:4. As I read through these verses, I was reminded of my first-time international travel in 1986.
I was on the way to Metro Manila, the Philippines, to attend the YWAM international staff conference along with my fellow staff from India. As a first time Air traveler, I got motion sickness. All my friends left me in the youth hostel where we were staying and went off to the conference. Here I was in a strange country, physically sick, and also homesick. I was laying on the bed, could not even get up to go to the bathroom longing for home, and my mom and dad.
At that time, I had this sense of God’s presence, filling that room, and surrounding my bed. I heard these comforting words of my loving shepherd saying, “Even your mother and father forsake you, I would never leave nor forsake you.” Since that time, I had several such incidents where I felt God is closer to me. So like David, I too would say, “I am not afraid.”
I find it a challenge for me to choose justice over mercy, and law over grace in my shepherding of the congregation at Hope Church. By reading this chapter, I realized how important it is for me to keep both “nurture and protection” in balance. Naturally speaking, I hate confrontation. I would instead like the sheep, “silently suffer,’’ than to fight back or to retaliate. I would instead pray and bring the problems of others to God than to stand up and protest on behalf of the oppressed and the voiceless.
I realize I need the strength of God so that I can be gracious as well as courageous as and when the situation demands. My prayer is that I too may walk in the footsteps of my good shepherd who loved me enough so that he could lay down his life to protect me. As an under-shepherd of Hope Church, I am determined to not only nurture them with sound biblical teaching but also to protect them from the devil who is roaming like a lion who is looking for an opportunity to devour them. I aspire to be a shepherd warrior or shepherd leader with His help.
While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks: “Protection” Day 15, Pages 109-113
Francis Balla (D. Min) Student ID 163124
e-mail: francis.balla@gmail.com
www.hopechurchsharon.org
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 15: PROTECTION
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: