The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Lost and Found

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 10: Lost and Found
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fkballa65

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:58 pm    Post subject: Lost and Found Reply with quote

LOST AND FOUND
DAY 10: 7/18/19
When I read about the story of the agony of a shepherd over his missing sheep, I was reminded of a story. I was not much of an animal lover, especially of cats. Once our cat got lost and did not come home all night. My youngest daughter was heartbroken. I went with her into the neighborhood in search of “Shasta” that was our cat’s name. But it was no use; three days passed but there was no sign of our cat. We posted pictures of our missing cat in several places.

Every day we searched for him in the streets but of no use. We couldn’t bear the thought, of him getting run over by a car or killed by another animal. However annoyed I was with that cat, after three days, I began to miss him. One evening we heard a faint “Meow,” our youngest daughter dashed out of the house, and there was our missing cat. We all rejoiced to see our cat returned home safely. If the return of our missing cat brought so much joy, can you imagine how much joy there would be in heaven when a lost child of God finally returns home?

The imagery of a relentless, persistent, and optimistic shepherd who goes after his lost sheep is very gripping and convicting. As I read through the chapter, I was exposed challenged by my lack of concern over the lost sheep and self-absorption of my own needs. While working with Youth with A Mission in India, I was reminded continuously of the needs of the lost world and how I am to reach out and save as many souls as I could save.

However, since moving to the USA, and becoming a pastor of a Church in a region where the Christians are termed as the “Frozen Chosen,” my passion for evangelism seemed to have been frozen. Though I understand Jesus’ primary mission was to seek and save the lost, in a highly intellectual and affluent society, I find it hard to make connections with people.

It appears to me a lot of people living in the USA tend to live their lives as if they are never in need of God. Those who I think need God does not recognize their lack of God. It is indeed challenging to seek and save those sheep that are unwilling to be brought back home so that they too can join the flock. I preach on the need of being on Jesus mission of seeking and saving the lost, but when it comes to sharing the good news, I find it hard to implement.

In this chapter, Dr. Laniak points out how a shepherd is mindful of his lost sheep and how much he thinks of it and how far and wide he goes in search of that lost sheep. I recognize my lack of anguish over the lost. I am reminded that a part of my mission as a shepherd leader is to seek and save that which is lost. How comfortable am I to go out to the places where the lost sheep hang out? How can I challenge my congregation with the need to reach out to the “other sheep” and bring them into the flock of God?

Where must I start to restore my passion for the lost? It is on my knees, asking the Good shepherd who sought after me to fill my heart with his love and compassion so that I might go out and bring the lost sheep into His fold. Lord, I pray that you will increase my burden for the Lost. Please, Lord, break my heart with the things that break your heart. Amen!

While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks: “Lost & Found.” Day 10, Pages 77-81 Francis Balla (D. Min) Student ID 163124
e-mail: francis.balla@gmail.com
www.hopechurchsharon.org
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 10: Lost and Found
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: