The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Rescuing & Caring Mission

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 3: Called to Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fkballa65

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Rescuing & Caring Mission Reply with quote

RESCUING & CARING MISSION
DAY 3: Called to Care 7/6/19

I vividly remember attending a student conference in December 1994 in India, where the conference speaker opened my eyes to look at the fields that were ready to be harvested. Then gave us a challenge saying the harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are so few. I responded to God’s call of reaching the unreached people groups of the world. In 1985 I joined Youth With A Mission, where God further confirmed my calling for the nations of the world.

Fast forward twenty years, after serving with YWAM (Youth With A Mission) in various capacities, God brought back my desire to be a pastor. In 2005 our family moved to the USA for my Masters in Divinity program. My time at Gordon Conwell Theological Seminary has deepened my call and, equipped me with valuable tools to handle God’s word accurately, which would be useful to nourish the flock of God in my future pastoral ministry.

Working with an international organization was exciting, which involved in traveling to several countries to preach the gospel and equip the believers for the works of service. But being a pastor in a small church in Quincy is a different ball game. Neither YWAM nor GCTS prepared me what to expect and how to handle challenges in a pastoral ministry in a local church.

Early on one senior pastor friend of mine told me, “shepherding is a messy job, at times the very sheep you are trying to feed might bite you.” My wife and I were severely bitten by a few sheep in our congregation. It’s one thing to be mistreated by an unbeliever outside the church, but to be mistreated by someone in your own church can be particularly hurtful.

My wife and I were like that wounded ewe in the story for a few years, licking our own wounds, unable to continue the ministry yet wanting to remain faithful to our calling. If it was not for the caring shepherd of our hearts who carried us on his shoulders and ministered to us, we would have quit the ministry of pastoring all together. Thank God we are still in the ministry!

God has graciously opened up another congregation where we are currently ministering. We hope to put into practice specific lessons we have learned in the previous church in our new assignment. Hopefully, we can avoid the mistakes we have made earlier. As we seek to minister to the needs of our flock in the church, we also want to make our house an Oasis for those who are needing refreshment and comfort. We would like to invite people into our Joy.

I recognize pastoring is often a thankless job, yet it is so fulfilling to see new believers grow in their faith and seasoned saints realizing their potential in ministry. I see pastoring as a Rescuing and Caring Mission. We are called to rescue the sheep (people) from the jaws of our arch enemy the devil and care for those who are wounded and hurting by introducing them to our wounded Shepherd. As we remain faithful in that heavenly call till the end, “when the Great Shepherd appears, we will receive a crown of never-ending glory and honor.” 1 Peter 5:4

While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks: Called to Care Day 3, Pages 35-39
Francis Balla (D. Min) Student ID 163124
e-mail: francis.balla@gmail.com
www.hopechurchsharon.org
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 3: Called to Care
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: