The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

The Power of Touch

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 8: The Shepherd Healer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davegus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:53 am    Post subject: The Power of Touch Reply with quote

“Whatever the condition, shepherds can’t simply stand at a distance. They need to touch the sheep.” How am I doing at “touching the sheep”? Making eye contact and greeting in the lobby and office…emailing or texting to follow up on an expressed prayer need…lingering after services to just be present with them, trusting God to guide the conversation…asking God for eyes to see those that need a touch of some sort, whether it’s at a church event or in the grocery store…making hospital visits, no matter how inconvenient…making time to have coffee, breakfast or lunch with members of the congregation. I feel like I’m growing in each of these. Where I don’t do so well is visiting shut-ins. There are many elderly shut-ins in our church family, and I feel like this is a rich area to develop—for me, my staff, and trained lay leaders.

This doesn’t mean that the pastor should be a fawning, obsequious people-pleaser—he certainly should not! But people need to sense a definite warmth and love from their shepherd. They need to know that their shepherd truly knows them personally, cares for them, and is committed to walking with them. What a beautiful thing.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 8: The Shepherd Healer
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: