The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Moses and the Rocks

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 5: Spring Up, O Well!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
romans58

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:28 pm    Post subject: Moses and the Rocks Reply with quote

I really appreciated how the events of Moses striking the rocks in Exodus 17 and Numbers 20 are contrasted here. Not being that familiar with the life of a shepherd, I never considered that Moses was perhaps relying on God in the first incident, but his own experiences as a shepherd in the second one. While subtle at first glance, his striking the rock instead of speaking to it in the second incident did seem to show self-reliance over true obedience and dependence on God.

As I reflect on this incident personally I realize how I am not so different than Moses. I have done "ministry" long enough to where I too fall into the trap of relying on my own abilities in instead of listening to and depending on the direction of the Lord through prayer and His Word. In doing so I am no better than the shepherd who neglects proper well digging for his sheep.

Here I reminded of how much the people that I lead spiritually need me to constantly go back to the source myself; then lead them to the living waters that only can be found in Jesus. They need to see me actively modeling trust in Jesus and the power of His Kingdom over my own; so that they in turn will be more likely to do the same.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 5: Spring Up, O Well!
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: