The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Matthew: the compassionate Davidic shepherd.

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colin Dickson

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:43 am    Post subject: Matthew: the compassionate Davidic shepherd. Reply with quote

The compassionate shepherd and the lost sheep of Israel.

Matthew 9:36 highlights the distressing truth that the people are leaderless and this moves Jesus to pastoral concern and compassion. However, the author points out that "it is not simply human need that moves Jesus, but rather their predicament as a flock not properly led" (p185). It is true that there is nothing more distressing than observing, not so much a leaderless congregation, but a congregation whose leader is not leading well.

Our solution today would be to hold a leadership conference in order to train leaders to lead well. The author makes an interesting observation when he points out that Matthew is seeking to portray "a call to more complete discipleship now with hints of succession" (p185). In other words, I am convinced that the key to good leadership is good discipleship. Every leader is first and foremost a disciple and always remains a follower of Jesus. Maybe we need conferences on discipleship for leaders as much as leadership for leaders?
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: