The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Shepherds in the Ancient World - Responsibilities

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Colin Dickson

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Shepherds in the Ancient World - Responsibilities Reply with quote

8 March 2019. Post one. Responsibilities.
Shepherds in the Ancient World.

I was absolutely fascinated with the description of "A shepherd's duties" (p53). The powerful imagery of the shepherd engaged in his duties captured my imagination. The parallels between the duties of the shepherd and pastoral ministry were strikingly evident. This quote from the author "The condition and growth of a flock depends greatly on the care, attentiveness and skill of the shepherd" (p53) immediately turned my thoughts to pastoral ministry in congregational life. As I contemplated this statement, two words came to my mind, that is, responsibility and relationship.

Responsibility to provide food and water: The author vividly describes how the shepherd is responsible for providing the basic essentials of food and water in a land that makes it extremely difficult to find these necessities for life in sustainable quantities. The author suggests that finding water requires an in depth knowledge of the land and the ability to adjust and adapt (p54). In turn providing a balanced diet, the author points out, is challenging for the shepherd and yet it must be done in order to maintain healthy sheep. Making sure that no one is overlooked but rather providing care for all of the flock, the "pregnant and nursing ewes… lambs and kids" (p54) is fundamental to the shepherds responsibilities.

In pastoral ministry, preparing to feed God's flock through the Word of God requires a knowledge of the Bible, but also an understanding of the spiritual and social landscape that people live in today. Therefore providing a balanced diet from God's word is hard work, it involves making biblical texts alive, clear and relevant to the hearers. Yet it must be done, it is the responsibility of the Shepherd Pastor. Caring for all of the congregation is also a huge but necessary responsibility that encompasses, children, teenagers, young adults, singles, married couples, families, the elderly, the sick, infirm and disabled.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: