The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Day 1

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 1: The Wilderness
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drmercadante

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Day 1 Reply with quote

The devotion on Day 1 immediately captured my heart. I was taken by the way the author captured the beauty and nuance of the bedouin culture in just a few words. I have never experienced the middle east in person, but reading these stories helped me imagine the culture. More importantly, it helped me grasp the Biblical authors idea of “care” for God’s people.

The story about Laniak’s son, being offered a job as a shepherd was both amusing and telling. The shepherd was able to sense the young man’s “heart” and felt confident he would care for the sheep, not just physically but with an eager desire. In turn, the shepherd offered his flock (and his daughter!). That tells me the shepherd was willing to offer something of his own in return for good care over his livelihood. This is more than an exchange of goods, but a “heart-for-heart” trade. God poured His heart out for us in Christ, that He may care for us as a shepherd cares for his flock.

Finally, the story of provision was beautiful. As a shepherd provides care in the wilderness, so God provides for us. He is Jehovah-Jirah, the One who provides for His children. Sometimes I get lost in the ministry blitz; trying to lead and balance our congregational resources. In the hustle, I forget that it is all about God, all for God and all FROM God! We only exist and minister out of His care and provision. I am fond of telling people, “If you’ve got it all planned and you know what’s going to happen, it doesn’t require any faith!”. Now, if I could only LIVE by my own advice!
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 1: The Wilderness
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: