The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

The RULER in Matthew 2:6 and Micah 5:2

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RevLDT72

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:25 am    Post subject: The RULER in Matthew 2:6 and Micah 5:2 Reply with quote

Matthew 2:6 quotes Micah 5:2 with reference to a ruler that would be born who would be a shepherd to Israel. I thought about this and similar references and pondered what we know about Jesus’ life and stated mission and what is commonly believed and understood about “rulers” throughout the ages. This posed a challenge for me as Jesus’ role and mission seem quite contrary to the customary role of a ruler.

In the vernacular, a ruler is a political figure who governs or judges, often harshly or tyrannically with an iron fist (or as Revelation suggest, a “rod of iron.”) Because this is completely contrary to the persona we see in Jesus, I looked deeper into the Greek words translated “rule” and “ruler” and was surprised when I discovered that the words primarily translated rule and ruler are from the roots αρχω, αγω (which relate to a thing’s ordinal position) and ποιμην which deals with the act of shepherding.

In each of these instances, the idea seems to be more of coming first or leading rather than ruling in the sense that we understand rulership in the 21st century. As such, in referring to Jesus’ role as ruler, it is to be understood more as one who is leading (perhaps by example or demonstration) than by one who is simply barking orders or telling someone else what to do. As such, by extension, the idea of shepherds ruling well, means to do so by being the example to the flock, living the holy, uncommon life before God’s people.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: