The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

From Metaphor to “Vision”

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RevLDT72

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:24 am    Post subject: From Metaphor to “Vision” Reply with quote

I intend to spend time processing the movement from the use of shepherd as metaphor in the old testament and through most of the new testament to John’s visions of the shepherd lamb in the book of Revelation. Particularly, in the former, the shepherd is always an image or type of something else - king, prophet, priest, etc. but in the latter, an actual shepherd is in view doing the work of leading and tending to the sheep.

My curiosity is how much of John’s visions were influenced by the shepherd metaphors from the prophets as opposed to the vision being an actualization of what was foretold by the prophets. More precisely, were John’s visions continuations of the prophecies, manifestations of those prophesies, or were they materialization of John’s subconscious which was overly influenced by his belief in and expectation of the coming shepherd king? This may be more of a psychological question than a theological one, as it queries possible subconscious influences to John’s visions.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: