The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

The Good Shepherd

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 3: Called to Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rrk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:54 pm    Post subject: The Good Shepherd Reply with quote

“God fully intends to use the shepherd image to shape the identity of his ministers.” (p. 35)

There are, as Jesus says, good Shepherds and bad Shepherds. Jesus is the ultimate Good Shepherd. What kind of shepherd am I?

I am an introvert by nature, and tend to want to reserve my energy. Caring for people requires a lot of energy. It is easy to ignore people as a pastor/shepherd, because you are the one in power.

My military service has made me a better pastor and shepherd, though this attribute took years to form within me. I have seen good shepherds (officers and NCOs) who really take care of their sheep (Soldiers). I have also seen poor examples within the military. The military has ground into me the duty to put Soldier’s needs, especially the needs of lower ranking Soldiers, before my own.

It takes a lot of strength to place other’s needs before your own. However, it’s not so hard as a mom – when you love someone, it comes naturally. Maybe that is why years ago, once a colleague and pastor asked me, “Have you fallen in love with your congregation yet?” I thought it a strange question at the time, but now, after several years of ministry, it makes perfect sense. The Good Shepherd loves his/her sheep.
gyujin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 11:31 pm    Post subject: Am I a Good Shepherd? Reply with quote

I believe that God is the ultimate Shepherd, who is our model on this earth. When we see Scriptures, we might easily find how He guided Israel during their journey on the wilderness. Whenever they were asking a help from God, He was always with them on time because God is the Shepherd. I have no doubt that God wants us to be shepherd, who takes care of His sheep, His people. He wants us to be a good shepherd.

When I read this book, there was always a big question, "Am I really a good shepherd?" :"Am I doing well for caring my sheep?" "Am I guiding well my sheep to a right direction?" These questions challenge me what kind of shepherd God wants me to be... it is definitely a GOOD shepherd.

Church community is not a system of military. It is quite different from each other. Even though I have a leadership over our small comunity, I can't command them to go some place where I want them to go. However, I first follow my ultimate Shepherd day by day. And then, I also guide them with the love of Christ.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 3: Called to Care
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: