The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

"Caring for my flocks!"

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 8: The Shepherd Healer
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LowerEastSide

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: "Caring for my flocks!" Reply with quote

During my commute to church this morning, I read Laniak's shepherd's reflection on Shepherd Healer (Day 8). Laniak said that the Good Shepherd makes compassion healing a central feature of his ministry. Laniak is right. Throughout the Gospels, Jesus often healed simply by speaking a word, in many cases he chose to heal with his hands. With compassion, Jesus reached out and gently touched those suffered from leprosy. In sympathy, Jesus reached out his hands to touch the eyes of a blind man. With compassion, Jesus put his fingers in a deaf man's ears and then felt his tongue (Mark 7:33). What catches my attention is that even during his arrest, Jesus gracefully healed the ear of the high priest's servant with a gentle and compassion touch (Luke 22:51).

In these days, it is sad to admit that pastoral theology has largely lost its "compassion and gentle touch." We focus on redefining our identity in a set of pastoral counseling theories and practice. We study church growth strategy and management style. We attend conferences and workshops emphasizing on skills and methodology. As a result, while a lot of these are helpful and informative, the practice of pastoral care has been neglected and even been ignored.

I often asked, "What is the core responsibility of a pastor?" "Is it preaching, teaching Sunday school, training leaders, or attending monthly Governing Board meeting?" Laniak reminds me that asking boldly, "Do we recognize the subtle symptoms of our flock's ailment in a toxic social environment, saturated with sensual stimulation? Have we created a safe place for fragile souls who are suffering emotionally, overwhelmed with grief or chronic depression? Do we afford the time necessary to care for those fighting long-term and terminal illness? Are those who are suffering the most, touched the most?" (p.69).

In my last church assignment, my primary pastoral responsibility is to give pastoral care to the congregation, including home visitation, hospital visitation, and home group discipleship etc. In a typical week, I would visit family in their home or workplace. I still remembered the conversation I had with my church members over the meal, the prayer around the hospital bed with the sick members and their family. Now, I still treasured those time having lunch with new church members. But yet, my pastoral responsibility in my present church has shifted toward more to develop leaders and conduct meeting. I need to rework my schedule and get back to what I used to do; that is: caring for my flocks.

I ask God to help me to know my pastoral role. I want to spend more time to visit new members. I want to devote more time to pray with those who are struggling. I want to spend more time to listen to those who are experiencing depression and anxiety. I want to be the Good Shepherd, who is compassionate bringing healing to the sick.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 8: The Shepherd Healer
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: