The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

My Quenched Thirst.

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 4: Streams in the Desert
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LowerEastSide

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: My Quenched Thirst. Reply with quote

In the implication of day 4: Stream in the Desert, Timothy S. Laniak invited us by saying, "Let's consider for a moment our parched souls." He continued to say, "The psalmist expresses a spiritual yearning: 'My soul thirsts for you in a dry and weary land where there is no water.' How long has it been sine we tasted life-giving fresh water? Maybe we've dehydrated in the sun while providing pools of refreshment for others. Where are the still waters for us?" (p.44). I felt the Holy Spirit strongly convicted me to having a deeper reflection with the Almighty God because there is no better way to describe my current spiritual walk with Jesus better than the questions stated above.

Often time, church ministry becomes a set routine of behavior and programs. As pastors, we are forced to act like a manager rather than a shepherd of the lost sheep. To fulfill all the "religious practice", it is tempting to pursue "professionalism" and "perfectionism." All in all, we become the busy "Martha" who Jesus described, "You are worried and upset about many things" (Luke 10:41). I do not want the Martha's spirit of serving attitude; I seek what Jesus described Martha's sister Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what Jesus later said, "Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her” (Luke 10:42). Timothy S. Laniak reminds me that "Our quenched thirst is the most sustaining sources of strength for serving others. 'Above all else guard your heart, for it is the wellspring of life'" (Proverbs 4:23).

My church just had a baptismal service followed after the Easter service last Sunday, and my senior pastor assigned me to oversee and perform the baptism. I treasured and thanked God for the privilege to baptize these people; however, God asked me these questions Timothy S. Laniak asked: "How long has it been since you tasted life-giving fresh water?" and "Where is the still water?" The Holy Spirit rebuked me and reminded me my quenched thirst was the most sustaining source of strength for serving others. I pledged to God once again that, with His mercy and grace, I must guard my heart, I must seek His help to avoid any backsliding, and I must call out to Jesus to lead me not into temptation, but deliver me from the evil one.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 4: Streams in the Desert
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: