The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

In the Wilderness

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rkastens

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:43 am    Post subject: In the Wilderness Reply with quote

Throughout this book I have appreciated Laniak’s discussion of the three primary duties of Shepherd Leaders: protection, provision, and guidance. I agree that these are the three tasks of a shepherd, even for shepherd leaders today. In addition, I also agree that the wilderness is the prime place for these to shine. In fact, the wilderness wonderfully underscores these primary duties. All three duties are essential in the wilderness if the flock/people are going to survive.

What are the wildernesses of church ministry today? Certainly one could view this wilderness in general terms; that life in America today, with its eroding cultural morals, is a wilderness. Like Abraham, this world is not our home and we are just passing through. This is certainly true. We live in a wilderness on a macro level.

But it seems to me we experiences wildernesses on a micro level as well. There are specific seasons of wildernesses that churches go through and even that pastors go through. Staff terminations or transitions, significant and/or public disagreements between lay leadership, traumatic death of a church member, etc. Protection, provision and guidance are always necessary for a church but I can’t help but think that certain seasons call for a magnification of one over the others.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: