The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Second Exodus

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rkastens

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:40 am    Post subject: Second Exodus Reply with quote

The exodus and subsequent references to it form an important framework to Laniak’s discussion about shepherds and the Shepherd. He rightly talks about Judah’s exile in Babylon as another exodus, and then again when he discusses Jesus’ leadership out of slavery to sin and into the Promised Land of the Kingdom of God.

The writings of the prophets (see Isaiah, Jeremiah) are certainly built on Moses’ shepherd leadership of the Israelites. Clearly Jesus is hailed as a new Moses. Faith in Christ, his work on the cross, and the empty tomb is the doorway to freedom from sin.

I was familiar with Jesus as a new Moses, leading a new exodus from the slavery of sin to the promised land of the Kingdom of God. However, I missed some of the similarities Laniak points out, specifically on page 175. Moses leading the people through the Red Sea and into the wilderness for forty years correlates to Jesus’ baptism and his journey into the wilderness, led by the Spirit of God, for forty days. Perhaps these points were obvious to others but this was new insight for me. This has given me a desire to go back and re-read the Gospels and these chapters, looking for other things I have missed.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: