The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Condition of the Flock

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rkastens

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:58 pm    Post subject: Condition of the Flock Reply with quote

I underlined Laniak's comment on page 53, "The condition and growth of a flock depends greatly on the care, attentiveness and skill of the shepherd." I spent the last couple of days with a friend who serves as the executive pastor of a large church in the midwest. For years the church was seen as an example of what a church should be. They were a large church in the 80's and 90's, and continued to grow through the first decade of the 21st century. In one stretch they were the primary funding source for 20 church plants in less than a 20 year period. They were also big supporters of foreign missions. Somewhere along the way, however, the church got sick.

The church became pockets of cliques that grew accustomed to getting their own way. The church drifted into the state of existing for its members. "It's really all about us," was the cry of their members. They lost sight of the mission of the church and the purpose of the church, becoming a country club for the already convinced.

A new senior pastor and some new staff (including my friend) began to call out this self-centered immaturity and to challenge the church to return to Christ and his mission. Programs were re-directed or dropped, prima-Donna staff were confronted and, if unrepentant, were transitioned out, etc. The church has lost over 50% of its attendance in the last 4 years. However, my friend shared with me that the staff culture and even church culture is better than it's been in years.

In the 90's and early 2000's I would have told you that this was a great church. I would have told you that the condition and growth of this church was enviable. It was growing numerically and the impact it was having on evangelism nationally and internationally was remarkable.

But somewhere along the way a subtle self-centered toxicity was allowed to take hold in the hearts of some of the sheep of this flock. Apparently the toxicity went unchecked by the leaders and it spread.

Even for our physical bodies, it's much easier to see health problems on the outside than it is to see problems with our internal organs. It's the disease that grows stealthily on the inside with which we are most concerned.

After spending two days with my friend and hearing his story, it was the word attentiveness that stood out to me. I wonder, what did the pastors and elders of that church notice in the 80's and 90's and early 2000's? Did they notice anything and excuse it given the great things that were happening? When did the toxicity really begin?

It is the attentive doctor who dictates the cancer at stage 1 or the heart blockage prior to the heart attack. It is the attentive shepherd who is aware of, and attending to, the hidden condition of his or her flock.

"The condition and growth of a flock depends greatly on the care, attentiveness and skill of the shepherd" (p. 53).
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: