The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Rustic, Yet Royal

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jerichobrawler

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Rustic, Yet Royal Reply with quote

In Dr. Laniak's discussion of Luke, he mentions the dispute over what the shepherds at the Nativity represent - are they representatives of the poor and despised, fitting Dr. Luke's emphasis of Jesus's compassion for the lowly? Or do they represent a tie to the grand, royal tradition of shepherds like David in the Old Testament? Dr. Laniak concludes that "It seems probably that Luke would emphasize both the rustic and the royal, because both elements are present in the Davidic/messianic traditions themselves" (See page 198).

This has gotten me to think about the role of pastors/shepherds in our society today. Like the shepherds in Jesus's day, we are not held in the esteem we once were. Like the shepherds in Jesus's day, disreputable members of our profession have brought our reputation down. (I remember reading in William Barclay's commentaries that shepherds were not even allowed to testify in court, since they were considered unclean, untrustworthy, shifty thieves). And yet, these were the folks chosen by God to be the first New Testament evangelists! They may have been rustic and even despised, but God chose them for a high, even royal, honor: to proclaim that the Messiah, the Good Shepherd, had finally been born in Bethlehem.

I think that same designation applies to us. Pastors are not very respected anymore in society. Many look at us and see Jimmy Swaggart, or Jim Bakker. Others look at us and see the abuse scandals in the Roman Catholic Church. For many, we will never get a fair hearing. And yet, God has chosen us for a royal commission - to speak far and wide the Good News. Let us then go with haste, and spread this Good News abroad!
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> Shepherds After My Own Heart -> Open Forum
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: