The Tent: A safe place for shepherds to reflect together
RegisterRegister   Log inLog in 

Long Tenure

ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 37: Authority and Abuse
View previous topic :: View next topic  
corinthpastorbob

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:46 am    Post subject: Long Tenure Reply with quote

In about three weeks I will celebrate 15 years at my current church. A significant amount of assumed authority comes with the territory. A frightening amount, actually. That is especially true in a polity where all lay leaders serve a maximum of three years and the Consistory (board) President serves only one. The revolving door of lay leadership means that my accumulated knowledge base alone gives significant authority. Other factors help as well - I'm over 50, the church has grown, my gifts in administration and leadership, and an awareness and transparency about my weaknesses (I'm not much of a people-person by nature, for example), etc.

But this accumulated authority (I might even say power) is kind of scary. Usually I like to think it's under control, but one church leader who was rotating off Consistory last year adamantly insisted that he recognized not only the power but felt I was abusing it. He said I had learned to manipulate the system and get my own way. As he closed out his area of responsibility, he became less involved and more agitated.

From my perspective (of course) he has his own issues. But he was a gift from the Lord to force me to pray, to reflect, and to investigate. What are the benefits and pitfalls of this dynamic of a long pastorate? Where do I really know what's best for the church and where am I just being self-absorbed about what I like? Where am I both consciously and subconsciously using my accumulated authority to circumvent the proper channels? Where am I preventing other leaders from stepping up and using their gifts? Where am I not allowing them to succeed - or not allowing them to fail, if necessary? Where am I serving me and not the Lord? It's an ongoing reflection.
ShepherdLeader.com Forum Index -> While Shepherds Watch Their Flocks -> Day 37: Authority and Abuse
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: